Tuesday, June 9, 2009

The Last Minute Civilized Preparation

Preparing for a notable upcoming race is an arduous and time consuming process and for most athletes tends to involve personal rituals of sorts. The longer, more difficult and more remote the event, the further heightened my of sense impending battle. Heading into the trenches of my most recent project—a 160 mile, self-supported, running stage race across the Gobi (Taklamakan) Desert in China, my ritual meter has been on high. Thoughts are of upcoming endless sand dunes, mountain ranges, severe heat and sand storms, while running on pummeled feet, and, resting in chilly uncomfortable nights on the floor of a tent shared with 10 fellow unbathed runners. In between running bouts we'll ingest pounds of dehydrated meals.

  • My feet will swell and at the around 75 miles all my nails will pop, exposing raw skin which I cover delicately every so often. All last week, the kids and Reena took turns to massage and be nice to my soon to be well-beaten feet.
  • Meet people and friends who are keen to eager to meet up before I leave to reaffirm their own sanity.
  • A last minute shave. Initiating my adventure with a shiny clean face gives a sense of hope. For what, I'm not sure exactly.
  • Wax legs - ha ha (not really)
  • Check gear list again, and again and again.
  • Give Reena and kids a few more hugs than usual.
  • Copy and check reading material.
  • Neatly wrap the little charms well wishers have given to carry with me

Nothing like going to a good battle to learn to not take oneself too seriously.



No comments:

Post a Comment