Monday, June 15, 2009

Day 2

 
Well yesterday as I might have mentioned stayed at a Kryzk village and in a Kryzk home. These are ethnic Kyrzks, they look more Persian than Chinese. We still have to use our own food rations (no yak milk Ashok). Kids and adults gather in the village square in front of this very picturesque mosque. I roomed with this Aussie guy, who believe it or not lives in Bombay, Malabar Hill. What a conversation picker that was and wanted to know how he trained for this in Bombay (apparently long runs from Malabar Hill to Nariman point and back).
 
I had decent sleep. My headache and fever had subsided. Still woke up around 3am -- but a decent 5hr of sleep and tossed and turned till it became bright.. I was very energized at the start and hoped if I stuck to my hydration plan things would go ok. There was plenty of time to kill, so I walked around and interacted with locals and kids. Briefing was at 8am, the run at 9am. The first hour was ok, a decent run out of the village and to the edge of some canyons. Made it to Checkpoint 1 quite strong. Soon thereafter the route apparently became quite difficult, going up and down innumerable canyons. A hour into Stage 2, I felt quite nauseatic and threw up all my food and water. Very depressing...I had a sinking feeling that my race had ended. I lay down in a shade for quite a while (around maybe a hour) just figuring how to proceed. Fortunately, I had carried antiboitics, a course which I never started. Took one tablet, 2 advils, finished some of my water, and some of my chocolates and goodies and decided to get back on route. The canyons were never ending, They were steep in sections and some places I had to retrace to make sure I hadnt lost my way. Also, I took out my trekking poles for climbing up and down. Stage 3 was just chugging along. Stage 4, I made decent time to the edge of a badwater canyon (Think those up and down formations in Death Valley). Also, I turned on ipod today at the last stage. I have to ration its battery since there is no way to charge.
 
I received so many emails today -- what a treat, thank you, thank you all, and am very happy. Its 6:30pm and the temperature is around 35C. The next two days are 42km and after that around 90km which would be a home stretch if I make it that far. I am just taking a stage at a time. Luckily my feet are doing ok, my nipples havent chaffed at all, am just worried about my strength and eating.
BTW, they upload the emails once a day via satellite connection and download the emails posted on the site.
 
Something I forgot to mention yesterday. Southwest of our route, I can clearly see the Karokaram range and I am guessing this is K2 was one of the peaks I could see. I will have to look it up later.
 
Miss you all.

(Blog updated via email)

No comments:

Post a Comment